DEPARTMENT OF HAEMATOLOGY AND BLOOD TRANSFUSION
The department started in 2016 alongside the other core Pathology (Laboratory Medicine) specialties. The main objective of the department is to produce medical graduates with a sound knowledge and practical skills equipped with an understanding of the mechanisms of diseases that are primarily of haemopoietic origin. The department successfully passed through NUC accreditation while the outcome of the final accreditation held by the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria in October is being expected.
Activities of the department include lectures and practicals for 400 and 500 levels and the conduct of the third professional MBBS examination for the 500L students.
The department is actively involved in research in the areas of bleeding disorders, sickle cell disease and cancers. Some of the ongoing researches include:
• Word Federation Of Hemophilia -World Blood (WFH-WBD) Register
• Psychological Burden on Haematological Malignancies in Nigeria
• Sickle Pan-Africa Research Consortium (SPACO) study
• Genetic Profiling of Non-communicable Diseases in West Africa GEN 54
During the period under review, the academic staff of the department participated in the following conferences and training programmes:
• Joint Scientific Meeting and Conference of the Nigerian Society of Haematology and Blood Transfusion and The Haematology and Oncology Society of Africa held in Enugu between 26th to 31st August 2019
• 14th Annual Scientific Conference and All Fellows Congress of the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria held in Abuja between 16th to 21st September2019
• 2nd International Society of Thrombosis and Hemostasis-Nigerian Society of Haematology and Blood Transfusion and The Haematology Supported Educational with a theme- Coagulab; Fundamentals of Haemostasis from Bench to Bedside held in Abuja between 25th to 27th November 2019
In the future the department is planning to collaborate with the Federal Teaching Hospital Gombe and the World Federation of Hemophilia in the area of capacity building for diagnosing, management and research in bleeding disorders.